Monday, March 05, 2007

Killing Relationships

Sharpening your interpersonal relationships.... SYIS

This is a training that Dwayne and I took last week and it was so much fun to be in a class with my husband. We were able to really spend some quality time with one another.

This workshop really focuses on dealing with conflict and helping others deal with conflict. It also talks about being a leader and what things we do to kill our relationships. They even talk about stress and grief.... I highly recommend it!

www.itpartners.org

check out the website!


As with most workshops I've taken in the past I'm too tired once I finish to really do the work that is necessary to implement change. The Lord has really been growing me over the years to not just be a hearer but a doer. Thus further reflection on this subject!


So as I flesh it out I'm going to share it with you! This is to also allow you to hold me accountable for the change that is necessary in my life and maybe the Lord will use it to spark change in your life as well!


2 verses are my focus :

Col. 3:12
" Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
James 3:17
" but the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all Pure, then peace- loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere."

Here is the thing that really hit me hard.

1. We are to clothe ourselves with : Compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. It isn't an option for us but rather it is expected since we are " God's Chosen People, holy and dearly loved."

2. The wisdom that comes from our LORD and savior is : pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive , full of mercy , good fruit, impartial and finally sincere.


This made me think about how the Lord has been teaching me the importance of learning to Love everyone and accept everyone where they are -We really don't have any other option. Ever said to yourself, " not someone I want to get to know." ? If we were all honest that isn't really an option for us as Christians. Anyway, I fell really hard once in a friendship and it was a hard lesson in understanding what it means to be a faithful friend. I have hurt people in my life who I considered friends from some of these very things listed in the verbal and nonverbal " relationship killers". Was it intentional? NO- it wasn't but none the less it hurt those who were trying to befriend me or who were and still are my friends.

I guess what the Lord has brought me back to this week is this: That I am His Daughter and because of His choice of me I have a responsibility to Clothe myself with certain characteristics befitting His Child. If I do these things then Wisdom which comes from above will flow in this way: pure, peace- loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy, good fruit, impartial, and sincere. I am almost certain that I would be, as would my friends, blessed if this is the way I acted towards them at all times.

There was a situation where I had spoken what I thought was wisdom but it was none of the above. My message while it may have be true was not spoken with wisdom from above but of my flesh. Thus it caused all kinds of hurt and pain not just in the lives of others but in my life as well.

I'm thankful that the Lord grew me a lot through that situation and taught me that I have a responsibility to guard my lips and my actions. To be slow to speak and slow to anger. To realize that forgiveness as believers isn't an option when there is a heart of reconciliation.

Faithful and trustworthy friends are not abundant - I hope today that we all strive to be a faithful and trustworthy friend- desiring to grow and be changed by our Father above!

Here's to not killing relationships but building them with : compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, drawing from wisdom from our Lord and Savior, which is first Pure, then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy, good fruit, impartial and sincere.....

How can anyone of us go wrong in our relationships if we are walking in this way!

New Places and New Adventures

After so much time away it feels refreshing to be back at blogging.  Here are just a few picture...